On Sunday 5th May (the Sunday of bank holiday weekend), the men’s Tour de Yorkshire cycle race passes through the centre of Masham. In the middle of a fearsome route from Halifax to Leeds via Kettlewell and Middleham, the cyclists will come into Masham on the Leyburn Road, turn right onto Silver Street and cycle up there, Church Street and Park Street as they head out towards Grewelthorpe.
So why not hang out here in Masham and enjoy a day of great excitement plus great food, great beer, shops to browse, activities and a really great Masham atmosphere!
When will the race come through Masham?
After several climbs prior to Masham, the race will be well spread out, with cyclists taking perhaps 10-15 minutes for all the riders to come through.
1:55pm The publicity “caravane” is due with a brief stop at the Silver Street/Church Street corner with goodies and entertainment.
3:15/3.30pm The race is expected to reach Masham
There will be a “rolling roadblock” a few minutes either side of the riders – so the route will be closed to traffic from perhaps 2.45-4pm.
Activities in and Around Masham Market Place
There will be activities going on in the Market place and around throughout the day…
– Expanded market and farmers market
– Big Screen showing the race in full
– Display of vintage cycles, family cycling information, games and giveaways from North Yorkshire County Council
– Lemonade stall run by the Scouts and Guides
– Outdoor refreshments at Bordar House, Café on the Square, Bay Horse, Bruce Arms and Kings Head
– St. Mary’s Church and Methodist Chapel will be open for exploration and contemplation
– Handmade craft and vintage fair at Masham Town Hall
Black Sheep and Theakston breweries open from morning til night
Will there be another big artwork?
Yes, this time in the Market Square. With the team of Masham School pupils and teachers reuniting with artist Robert Blades, we are hoping for the most spectacular artwork yet and to improve on 2017’s third place in the TdY Land Art Competition!
What facilities will be provided for visitors and day trippers?
– Visitor parking is available at the Shooting Holme – suggested charitable £5 donation per car. Disabled parking is available in the field behind the church. Please ask for directions on arrival in Masham.
– Portaloos, and mini skips for rubbish, in the Market Place and on the Shooting Holme.
There will be first aiders on call around the town’s public spaces on the day.
Parking & road closures
Roads on the race route, plus the Market Place and Park Square, will have on-road parking suspended for the day of the race. Residents who usually park on the route or Market Place can park free of charge on the Shooting Holme from Sunday morning – you will need a voucher which can be obtained from the Community Office on 01765 680200 or Nick Reed on 01765 689702.
For any further information or to volunteer to help, please contact Nick Reed, Tour de Yorkshire Co-Ordinator on 01765 689702 or email: email@example.com. Mashamshire Community Office on 01765 680200 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Masham Parish Council on 01765 680205 or email: email@example.com.